Prom Planning Checklist for the Best Prom Hairstyle
Want to get the best prom hairstyle possible? I’m bringing you another prom planning checklist, but this one is for the clients (Hairstylists, I have a prom planning checklist for you, too)! Follow these tips to make sure your formal hairstyles for prom are top-notch, and to ensure you get the absolute most out of your salon experience.
One of the best times of the year is Spring in the salon….dances, proms, and the beginning of wedding season! I am looking forward to formal styles, makeup, prom hair, weddings, and the smiling faces of all my beautiful subjects. Prom day is probably my favorite day of the year, because it’s a day to really unleash my creativity and have fun.
Today I’d like to share some tips for getting the best prom hairstyle possible when you visit the hair salon for prom. Following these steps will ensure that your hair and makeup are perfect for your special occasion, and that you leave the salon with a smile on your face.
How to Get the Best Prom Hairstyle
1) Book early! If you’re going to the hair salon for prom, remember: your stylist has lots of clients, and will book quickly for special events like proms or dances. Don’t wait until a week before your event to call your stylist! If you don’t have a regular stylist, then booking early is even more crucial. Most stylists will require a practice session before a big event, especially for new clients, so they can get a feel for your hair texture and your likes and dislikes. You’ll want plenty of time for that appointment, as well! Plus, if you’re hoping to get your makeup done, you’ll need a practice so your stylist or makeup artist can make sure to have all the shades and colors you will need. (Booking a practice session should be number 2, but I’ll leave it as a suggestion in number 1).
2) Have clean, dry hair…but not too clean. It’s best to shampoo the night before, then apply some gel or mousse, and blow-dry. Shampooing the day of the service could make your hair too slick to hold the pins, or too limp to hold the curl. Also, damp or wet hair cannot be curled or flat-ironed, so failing to dry your hair before the service will add to your time in the chair, and to your bill.
3) Wear a button-up shirt, or a shirt with a wide collar. It would stink to mess up your new up-do or fresh face of airbrush makeup while removing your turtle neck!
4) BE HONEST! If your stylist parts your hair in a weird place, or has a barrel curl pinned so that it looks like a unicorn horn, speak up! It will be so much easier for him or her to fix it BEFORE the final coat of spray than it will be for you to do it once you get home. More than likely, you’ll wind up destroying the whole thing, when your stylist could have rearranged it in minutes. Any decent stylist will listen to your concerns and do whatever it takes to make sure you love your look.
5) Do not attempt to shower or bathe after you’ve had your hair done. I’m sorry this has to be mentioned, but unfortunately, it does. Sitting in a bathtub full of hot water with a fresh-from-the-salon updo is a recipe for disaster! The steam could ruin your ‘do in seconds.
6) Have a great time at your event!
beautiful prom hair
Getting the best prom hairstyle for you is easily done, as long as you follow this prom planning checklist. I highly recommend going to the hair salon for prom, because the experience alone is worth it. Chances are, you’ll be surrounded by other girls who are also getting dolled up for the big event, and it’s just a really fun environment. Plus, why not get pampered? Good hairstylists have an arsenal of formal hairstyles for prom up their sleeves, and it’ll be nice to just relax and enjoy having someone else do the work. You’ll leave with beautiful prom hair that will last all night!
Feel free to visit my Hair and Makeup Gallery to see more of my work, and be sure to leave a comment (it’s also my guestbook here on the blog)! If you have any formal events to prepare for, I hope you will remember this little checklist. Your hairstylist will be impressed with your formal hairstyling knowledge and compliment you profusely!